Tuesday, May 19, 2009

SILENCE

From Irv:

The silence from Kwan worries me. I'd like to think Uncle Vick wouldn't harm her, but he's killed people. Not just people. My family!

And now, Kwan is silent. Kwan, please write an entry to let me know you're all right. I don't have a cell phone right now. It burned during a meth cook deadline. Besides, I want this blog to continue for the sake of those who might want to know the truth.

I'm sitting in the hot sun near a white pickup truck at the meth lab farmhouse. I just had a lunch of hot dogs that Big Bill the little teenage meth king cooked for all of us over the bunson burners in the kitchen.

Kwan, I've shaved off my pointy sideburns. Well, all right, they "singed" off in the same meth cook incident that burned up my phone. But I still have the thick black hair you liked and yes, Uncle Vick, my two fingers are still missing.

Silence. Why does silence happen so much? People stop calling or people disappear. You loved them or went through tough times with them, and then they are gone. And why does love change volume?

The keys are in the white pickup. I'm going to steal it and get out of here this afternoon. I'm going to drive it down the I-5 and scream - right, Kwan? I'm going to drive it 100 mph. like I used to do in the movies when I was a stunt man. Back when I had a future.

Back when the phone rang.

Irv

No comments: